Carlton University Educates and Empowers Our Employees
Carlton University offers four instructor-led training programs designed to educate, empower, and influence employees to best serve residents in their homes within our Carlton Senior Living communities.
These Carlton University programs give employees the ability to take the information they learn and directly apply it to their residents’ care, well-being, and experience at Carlton. These programs serve our entire group of employees, from line staff and managers to executives.
Carlton University: New Hire Training
- New Hire training is dedicated to educating all newly hired employees. Depending on the position, the new hire may go through a full 1-day or 5-day training program. The curriculum is hands-on, interactive, and engaging to allow for the most optimal learning experience. For all employees, the topics include but are not limited to: First Aid and CPR; Dementia Care and Approach; Disaster and Emergency; Empathy and Psychosocial Needs of the Elderly; LGBTQIA+, and Diversity. In addition to these training programs, care staff may participate in the following: Carlton Culture through Care and Activities of Daily Living; Fall Response; Repositioning Techniques; Dementia Specific Care Techniques, and Medication Assistance*.
- Our Medication Technicians receive additional training in which they learn the best techniques, approaches, safeties, protocols, and regulations surrounding Carlton’s Medication Assistance Program.*
- At the end of the New Hire training program, New Hires are fueled with the knowledge needed to best serve our residents day to day.
Carlton University: Veteran Training
- Education doesn’t stop at the New Hire experience! Our continuing education is Carlton University Veteran Training which serves to educate all of our employees month to month on emerging topics and relevant information. This training series, much like New Hire Training, is hands-on, collaborative, and team-oriented. Topics include, but are not limited to: Emergency response (choking, active shooter, cyber threat, fire, emergency); OSHA and Infection Control; Dementia (How Dementia Affects the Brain, Wandering and Elopement, Positive Approach and Person-Centered Language, Therapeutic Approach); Empathy and Psychosocial Needs of the Elderly; Resident Rights and Elder Abuse, End of Life Care; and Care Techniques (Proper Transfers, Fall Response, Activities of Daily Living, Health Care Complications, Medication Assistance).
- Each month employees complete Veteran Training with new knowledge, insight, and growth which empowers them to continue serving our residents each day.
- Carlton’s dedicated team of Carlton University Instructors facilitate 2 hours of Veteran Training for employees every month, showcasing 24 different topics a year.
Carlton University: School of Management
- Carlton School of Management specifically focuses on educating employees at the supervisor, management, and executive levels. The purpose of this program is to provide Carlton’s management teams with the ability to best lead their teams within the communities. School of Management focuses on the hard skills of being a manager (i.e: HR law, the intricacies of guiding a team, how to make fair and equitable decisions, etc.) and also the soft skills (how to make a team feel supported, how to build and maintain team morale, etc.)
- The objective of Carlton School of Management is to cultivate educated, well-rounded, supportive leaders who can assist Carlton employees in navigating their employment. Carlton firmly believes if our staff feels supported, then so do our residents!
Carlton University: Leadership Development Program
- The Leadership Development Program is designed to help our managers excel in their careers. This is a year-long application-based program in which managers dive deep into the complexities of Carlton Senior Living operations. They learn the necessary tools for running, operating, and managing a Residential Care Facility for the Elderly (RCFE). Each class of Leadership students visits several Carlton communities. The group also learns from Carlton consultants and are tested on their ability to understand and recognize the multi-dimensional facets of directing a Carlton Senior Living community.
- Carlton believes in promoting from within. Carlton’s Leadership Development Program empowers managers and provides the wisdom, education, and ability to excel in the next step of their careers with Carlton Senior Living.
At Carlton, we know it takes a special group of individuals to help our residents live their lives to the fullest, surrounded by love, kindness, and care. Read about Carlton’s commitment to kindness.
Learn more about Careers with Carlton.